BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Maiden-In-Waiting

The villages in the Kingdom had been watched over by Shield Maidens are far as anyone could remember. The Shield Maidens were said to be blessed by Goddess Tyr with the power to protect and shield the villages and its people from harm and evil hence the name “Shield Maidens.” Each Maiden-In-Waiting was chosen by the current village Maiden at the age of twelve by the Will of Goddess Tyr.

At the age of twelve, Aeyr and another girl was summoned by the village Shield Maiden to be chosen as the Maiden-In-Waiting. Aeyr’s parents were very reluctant to let her go but in the end, they relented as the Will of Goddess Tyr must not be opposed and ignored lest misfortune befall their village.

Traditionally, the Maidens-In-Waiting are isolated from the people of their village. Alone and lonely, the two girls soon became great friends even though they quarreled a lot. Under the training of the Shield Maiden, they attained the power and knowledge to shield and protect their village and its people. Through various experiments with their new-found powers, they discovered that it could also be used to protect their loved ones.

Sitting underneath their favorite tree, Aeyr who was twirling strands of her hair with her finger, said, “ I love this tree. I wish it would bear fruit soon so I can taste the delicious apples. ”

“ I wish you would try harder in exercising your powers. You know she won’t be pleased with you if you keep making her flowers die. And my pet fish, how could you ! “ berated Myr while giving Aeyr a hard pinch in the arm.

“ Owww, that hurts ! And yes, I was practicing with my powers but with your fish. Owww, stop it ! I did say that I was sorry ! “

“ Next time, don’t use my pets as your practicing material. If Goldie, my last fish dies, I’ll give you a pinch that you’ll never ever forget, “ said Myr in a menacing tone.

“ Fine, fine. I won’t do that again, “ Aeyr sighed. “ I wish I can be as good as you. I can’t even give a simple Blessing to make this tree grow faster. You’ll be a better Shield Maiden than me, that’s for sure. “

Pointing at the sky with finger, Myr exclaimed loudly, “ Aeyr, look over there at the left. Is that a Dove ? “

Brushing away dirt from her dress as she stood up, Aeyr squinted her eyes and said, “ I see a white bird. It’s probably a white crane bird or something. “

“ Look again. It’s definitely a Dove. Do you know what this means ? “ uttered Myr, her green eyes widened in fear.

Aeyr remained in silence for a few seconds and said thoughtfully, “ I recalled that Master once said that it’s a kind of omen but other than that, I remembered nothing else. “

“ You idiot ! You have not been listening attentively. The white Dove is an omen of death and bloodshed, “ Myr screamed loudly while Aeyr gasped with her mouth wide open. “ We must inform this to Master immediately ! “

Myr grabbed Aeyr’s arms with her hand firmly and ran toward a small hut which is located near the river.

“ Myr, it’s flying towards us ! Faster ! “ shouted Aeyr as she turned her head behind her back. Both of them then began to run as fast as they could while glancing at the bird fearfully.

Suddenly, Aeyr tripped over a fallen tree branch and sprained her foot. She groaned at the extreme pain, her legs sprawled on the earth.

“ Aeyr, are you alright ? You can’t run like this. I’ll have to carry you to Master, “ cried Myr in distress.

“ It’s nothing. I just sprained my foot. You can’t carry me. I’m too heavy for you, “ said Aeyr glumly while ignoring the throbbing pain at her foot. “ Go and fetch Master. “

“ But I can’t just leave you here with that bird flying around ! “

“ Look, it’s not here now. It probably got eaten by an eagle or something. Quickly, Myr. Go and fetch her, “ said Aeyr as she tried to convince her friend to leave her.

“ Fine, if you say so. I’ll give you a Blessing of Protection to keep you safe before I return with Master. “

Then, she closed her eyes, her brows furrowed in concentration and her right palm placed on Aeyr’s head. Her palm, surrounded by a soft golden aura, became increasingly warmer and warmer. Finally, she took her palm away and said, “ Done. I’ll go and find her now. Be safe. “

As Myr left Aeyr alone on the ground to search for her Master, the Dove suddenly appeared in the sky. Aeyr couldn’t do anything but stared fearfully at the Dove as it swooped down towards her at great speed like an eagle hunting its prey. Aeyr disappeared without a trace like the other three Chosen Children.

Myr will then later come back with the Master Shield Maiden, expecting to find a relieved Aeyr waiting for them. Both of them and the village people will search frantically for a missing Maiden-In-Waiting. The sole Maiden-In-Waiting will forever regret for leaving her best friend behind on that fateful day.

I’m sorry for leaving you behind

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.